*Note – 9.5.1 dropped support for the MPS Gateway. I am currently working with support to try to get integration re-added.
If you have already configured vPro (How-to) and are looking to enable the remote access feature (out-of-band) here is how I did it.
I started out by installing Windows 2012 Server Core because of its reduced vulnerability surface area and reduced number of patches required to maintain the environment.
Next I took the installer from my core LANDesk server (found at: driveletter:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Install\vpro\remoteaccess\Setup.exe) and moved it over to the Windows 2012 server core installation.
I then installed the Setup.exe for MPS following the standard setup described in document provided with setup.exe; it is in the same directory on core server. If your server is missing this document I would suggest contacting LD Support as it is fairly vital to a successful installation.
The actual install is rather basic – you alter some settings based upon what the document outlines, where it gets tricky is when you need to update Apache from the version that shipped with the LANDesk package to the latest version. As of this writing the latest version of Apache for Windows is Apache 2.2.25 while the version included is 2.2.8.
The steps to upgrade apache are as follows:
1. Log into the Windows 2012 server core being used as the MPS
2. Stop the MPS, apache 2.2.8, and stunnel services.
3. Make a copy of the apache root folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\apache software foundation\apache2.2 -> \apache2.2_backup)
4. Uninstall apache 2.2.8
5. Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\apache software foundation\apache2.2 folder including configs
6. Restart the server
7. Download newest apache (no ssl version, as it uses stunnel instead) from here
8. Install apache 2.2.25
9. Stop the apache service
10. Copy mod_proxy, mod_proxy_connect, and mod_proxy_http from the \apache2.2_backup\modules folder to \apache2.2\modules and overwrite the current files.
11. Update \apache2.2\conf\httpd config again as described in document provided with setup.exe
12. Start MPS service, apache 2.2.25 service, and stunnel service.
I would also suggested downloading and installing the latest stunnel version – found at: stunnel.org
*Note – as always be sure to make a backup first.
HTTP Ports – 80 and 8080
Redirection Port – 16993
Client Port – 20015
Once the server is installed and properly configured based on the included document you will want to be sure the following steps were all completed.
– Core server certificates from: DriveLetter:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\amtprov\certStore\mps\ were moved to the MPS servers C:\mps\ folder.
– LDMS core console had both the NED and remote access settings configured.
Just some general notes:
– The MPS Gateway is an Intel product, not a LANDesk product.
– An MPS Gateway is not required to use vPro in network, it is only used for out-of-band vPro management.